There are several new additions and changes in the framework, including router performance improvements, and stricter types, which is added for DatePipe and number pipes to catch misuses, such as passing an array at compile time.
While Angular 10.0 was released on June 24, bringing tools and ecosystem capabilities; Angular 10.1 point release brought compiler and router improvements, and was released on September 8.
What’s new in Angular 11?
Angular 11 is currently in beta release as at now, and there is no official information regarding Angular 11 release date; albeit you can update your applications to Angular 11 pre-release versions.
The beta releases of Angular 11 are currently available on GitHub and some improvements that have been proposed for Angular 11 include:
- Removal of support for the Microsoft IE 9 and IE 10 browsers, including IE mobile support.
- Router in Angular 11 changes the default value of relativeLinkResolution from “legacy” to “corrected” and the migration updates RouterModule configurations uses the default value to specifically use “legacy” to prevent update breakages.
- Improvements to router performance, with ngDevMode used to tree-shake error messages.
- Improvement to typing of common pipes and other bug fixes that ensure TestBed is not instantiated after the override provider.
- Interfaces for the compiler-cli are now defined to be used for TemplateTypeChecker, with performance improvements been made to compiler-cli.
- Angular compiler now has keySpan added to the Variable node.
Additionally, the service-worker, which is an UnrecoverableStateError notification is being added to fix the issue in which a broken state would arise whereby only some parts of an application would load properly, when the browser has evicted eagerly cached assets from the cache that can't be found on the server.
How to Upgrade to Angular 11 pre release versions?
If you are already running Angular 10 and want to upgrade to Angular 11, you can use the following command to upgrade your application to pre-release version of Angular 11.
ng update --next
And add --next flag as Angular 11 version is still in pre-release state, however it is strongly recommended that you should update your application to Angular 10 before upgrading to Angular 11.