Quarkus is an open source framework developed by Red Hat that uses a unification of reactive and imperative model programming to solve the issue of distributed application architectures such as serverless and microservices. It is aimed at a container-first, cloud-native world, as Java development can be a challenge in such serverless environment.
The framework as Kubernetes Native is tailored for GraalVM and HotSpot, developed from the best-of-Java libraries and standards, with the goal of making Java a leading platform in Kubernetes and serverless environments and to offer developers a unified programming model for distributed application architectures.
While most Java developers are used to the imperative programming model, but developers are increasingly adopting to cloud native, event-driven, asynchronous, and reactive model to address business requirements in building highly concurrent and responsive applications.
Quarkus is built to seamlessly bring the two programming models together in a platform, resulting in strong leverage within an organization for significant runtime efficiencies.
It compiles to a native binary running on Oracle’s GraalVM virtual machine, with applications able to run with significantly less RAM and startup time quicker than traditional apps running on the JVM, which better fits serverless deployment. Albeit, Quarkus requires a Java IDE, JDK 8 or later, Apache Maven 3.5.3 or later, and GraalVM for native applications.
Red Hat, however claims that the code is streamlined for 80 percent common usages, with flexibility for the other 20 percent of cases; it employ libraries such as Eclipse MicroProfile and Vert.x, JAX_RS/RestEasy, JPA/Hibernate and Netty, with an extension for third-party frameworks.
Quarkus will serve as an effective solution for running Java in the world of Kubernetes, serverless, microservices, containers, FaaS, and the cloud, haven been designed for these environments from the ground up!