Microsoft's Windows 10 recorded a huge again in June haven added more than a percentage point in share, with the now-obsolete Windows 7 falling by almost the same margin.
While Windows 10 added 1.1 percentage points, according to Net Applications, to reach 58.9% of the worldwide OS share last month, which represented 68% of all Windows' editions. The latter percentage for all Windows editions, 68% now puts the operating system on track to reaching a 70% share of Windows within next 60 days.
The percentage of only Windows PCs running Windows 10 was significantly larger than the percentage of all PCs because Windows doesn't power every system.
As at June, Windows OS was running on 86.7% of the world's PCs, with same fraction as in May; but a record low for Microsoft's Windows in the previous month, as Linux surged by a remarkable 1.5 points to end at 2.9% in April, the highest since October 2017, and Windows accounted for 86.9% of global OS share, a decline of 2.3 percentage points.
Why Windows 7 fall doesn't always mean a gain for Windows 10?
Though majority of the world's personal computers are running on Windows, with Net Application stats putting it at 86.7% of the world's PCs in June, the same fraction as in May; but the remaining 13.3% is shared across macOS, Linux or Chrome OS.
Given the so-called zero-sum game, and as operating system share is often perceived, if any OS goes down, another must have gone up, so it could mean major advances by rival operating systems, such as Apple's macOS which climbed by eight-tenths of a percentage point to end at 9.8% in April, its highest mark since 2019.
Now, Windows 7 has for the second straight month lost share, falling in June with nine-tenths of a percentage point, and dropping to 23.4% of all PCs and to 26.9% of all Windows, the lowest since January 2011.
Windows 10 is still on the rise
Windows 10 recorded 1.1 percentage points growth in June to reach 58.9% of global OS share last month, and represented 68% of all Windows' editions. And these numbers were all records for Windows 10, putting the operating system on track to crossing a 70% share of Windows within next 60 days.
Albeit, the two-month run of Windows user share normalcy: where Windows 7 loses share, and Windows 10 picks it up, was in contrast to what's the case earlier this year.
Meanwhile, analysts strongly believes that Windows 10 will pass 70% of all Windows by the end of August 2020 and within a year, will reach nearly 85% share.